Dr. Daniel Alejandro Mazal
Address: Calle Virgilio, 3, 28223,, Pozuelo de Alarcon, Madrid, Comunidad de, Spain
About the Doctor / Professional
Dr. Daniel Alejandro Mazal is the Technical Director and Head of Medical Physics at the Fundacion Quironsalud-Centro de Protontherapia Quironsalud. After obtaining initial experience in Argentina, he worked on high-precision techniques at Curie Institute in France developing original solutions for the use of detectors and providing multicentric European recommendations (eg Dynarad). He developed original apertures for small fields and micrometric immobilisation systems, that were used in clinics and also adopted by the industry (eg Arplay).
He started the clinical program with doctors from Institut Curie and the public hospitals in Paris treating small tumors, metastases and arteriovenous malformations. In the 90’s, Dr Mazal directed the conversion of an existing nuclear physics laboratory based on a 200MeV synchrocyclotron in Orsay into a clinical facility. Dr Mazal lead the process to install a clinical turn-key proton therapy system in a 50 million euros project, the largest for Curie Institut and also in radiation therapy in France at that time. As the head of the medical service of Institut Curie, he introduced the state-of-the-art radiation therapy systems in France (eg Tomotherapy) with a staff of more than 100 persons under his direction working in three clinical sites.
Along with his clinical activities, Dr. Mazal has guided international students at various stages of their careers. His fields of interest are dosimetry, instrumentation, image guided radiation therapy, management of organ movements and adaptive radiation therapy, use of minibeams and "Flash" irradiations.
Dr. Mazal has more than 150 research publications to his credit. He has organized scientific meetings and was invited to speak at various talks internationally.View Contact Details
Degree: U. de Buenos Aires, Argentina - 1984
Residency: Université Paul Sabatier (Toulouse) and Institut Curie (Paris), France - 1990
- From 1st Feb 2019 - Technical Director and Head of Medical Physics at Fundacion Quironsalud-Centro de Protonterapia Quironsalud
- 2003-2004 : Invited Scientist Massachusetts Gen Hospital & Harvard Medical School,Boston, USA
- In charge of medical physics department at Institut Curie (France)
- University and the Academy of Medicine in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- June 2015 - Invited speaker at AAPM summer school , Colorado Spring, Co, USA
- 2011 & 2015 - ESTRO School Particle Therapy (Paris)
- 2010-2011-2012: PTCOG International meetings in Japan, USA and Korea
- 1998/2002/05: Invited advisor/external reviewer - Indiana University Cyclotron Facility, IN, USA
- 1997/98 : Prix de la Physique Médicale.Académie de Languedoc & SocFranc de Physiciens d'Hôpital.
- Patent - Method and Apparatus for Applying Radiotherapy. Publication number: 20080317203.Inventors: R.Ferrand, S.Meyroneinc, H.Mammar, J-C Rosenwald, A.Mazal. Date: 25Dec08
- FLASH and minibeams in radiation therapy: the effect of microstructures on time and space and their potential application to protontherapy.
- Experimental characterisation of a proton kernel model for pencil beam scanning techniques.
- EP-1817 Comparison of 2 VMAT optimization algorithms using complexity metrics for breast cancer radiotherapy.
- Facteurs de risque des accidents vasculaires cérébraux survenant après radiothérapie pour un cancer de l’enfant : résultats du projets européen CerebRad.
- Development of a synthetic single crystal diamond dosimeter for dose measurement of clinical proton beams.
- Physical Rationale for Proton Therapy and Elements to Build a Clinical Center.
- Analytical linear energy transfer model including secondary particles: Calculations along the central axis of the proton pencil beam.
- Prévention des cancers radio-induits.
- Field shaping :Scattered beams. Principles and Practice of Proton Beam Therapy
- Use of gEUD for predicting ear and pituitary gland damage following proton and photon radiation therapy.
- The American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for plaque brachytherapy of uveal melanoma and retinoblastoma.
- Protontherapy: Basis, indications and new technologies.
- Radiotherapy of age-related maculopathy: a preliminary comparative treatment planning study.
- Robots in high precision patient positioning for conformal radiotherapy.
- Research Project - INSPIRE :INfraStructure in Proton International REsearch (2018 - 2022)
- Research Project - NanoTheRad (2017)
The Medical Physics Service of Institut Curie and Dr Mazal in particular were involved in training and support to colleagues and projects in developing countries, through IAEA, Medical Physicist Without Borders, and personal initiatives.