Dr. Lu Ann Chong
Address: Block A & Block B, 282 & 286, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, 50450, Malaysia
About the Doctor
Dr. Lu Ann has been practicing Psychiatry for more than 18 years in the UK and Malaysia with extensive experience in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of a wide range of psychiatric disorders across different age and ethnic groups. Her training in the United Kingdom included non-pharmacological interventions such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Psychodynamic Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Therapy, which she incorporates in her consultation sessions besides pharmacological management.
Dr. Lu Ann attained her Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at King’s College London in 2000. She then became a Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrist of United Kingdom in 2006. She completed her Postgraduate Training in Imperial College London at St Mary’s Hospital, where she obtained a Certificate in Completion of Training (CCT) in 2009 that allows her to practice as a Consultant Psychiatrist in the United Kingdom. She is registered with the National Specialist Registrar in Adult Psychiatry in Malaysia. She retained her internationally recognized General Medical Council Registration from London that endorses her license to practice Medicine and Psychiatry in the United Kingdom.
She sub-specialized in Liaison Psychiatry, where she treats Medically Unexplained Symptoms, conditions such as persistent physical problems like headache, dizziness, or pain not matching any recognized medical condition.
Dr. Lu Ann has a special interest in Perinatal Psychiatry, working collaboratively with the mother and Obstetricians in the management of psychological distress, chronic insomnia, and mental disorders before, during, and after childbirth and in the breastfeeding period. She also counsels women taking psychotropic medication(s) wishing to conceive on the risks/benefits of discontinuing medication(s) and educates on alternative management techniques. She worked in a Mother and Baby Unit in North London, a tertiary referral unit offering specialist inpatient treatment to women suffering from mental health problems before or after child delivery. Her experience of becoming a mother has also been invaluable in helping her understand the myriad of issues new and/or working mothers face.
Dr. Lu Ann also worked at the Priory Hospital Roehampton, a world-renowned private specialist addiction centre in London, where she learnt motivational enhancement and relapse prevention techniques helping clients struggling with addiction.View Contact Details
Degree: MBBS from the King’s College London 2000
Residency: Imperial College London at St Mary’s Hospital
- Consultant Psychiatrist accredited to practice at Gleneagles Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
- Worked in a Mother and Baby Unit in North London, a tertiary referral unit offering specialist inpatient treatment to women suffering from mental health problems before or after child delivery.
- Worked at the Priory Hospital Roehampton, a world-renowned private specialist addiction centre in London
- Senior Lecturer and General Adult and Geriatric Psychiatrist in University Malaya from 2011 - 2014.
- As a member of the Alzheimer’s Dementia Foundation Malaysia (ADFM) Executive Committee and she raised over RM75k through private and corporate donations to fund a UK trained Registered Dementia Mental Health Nurse to spend 3 months training care-givers in ADFM Dementia Day Centres.
- Worked closely with a leading Consultant Perinatal Specialist in the development of a new Perinatal Psychiatry Service that was implemented in St Mary’s Hospital in 2009.
- Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrist(UK)
- Malaysian Medical Council Full Registration (Malaysia)
- National Specialist Registrar in Adult Psychiatry (Malaysia)
- General Medical Council Full Registration (UK) – License to Practise Medicine in the UK
- Alzheimer’s Dementia Foundation Malaysia (ADFM)
Dr. Lu Ann trained with Dr. James Warner, the elected Chair of the Faculty of Old Age Psychiatry Royal College of Psychiatrist and the UK representative for Old Age Psychiatry in the World Psychiatric Association. She has a special interest in Early Onset Dementia (dementia before aged 65), and co-wrote a business proposal for the expansion of Early Onset Dementia Services beyond the borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London.
Passionate in raising mental health awareness and reducing social stigma associated with mental health issues, she regularly gives talks ranging from Mental Health Conditions, Stress Management to Managing Relationships for Corporate Events, Rotary Meetings, and Nursing and Palliative Care Homes.