Heart Tumor Treatment- Cancer/Oncology, Cardiology
Doctors: Cardiologist, Cardiac Surgeon
What is heart tumor?
Heart tumor, also known as cardiac tumor, is an abnormal growth of tissue in the heart. Heart tumor can be either cancerous (malignant) or non-cancerous (benign). Benign heart tumours are much more common than malignant heart tumours.
Heart tumors can be also classified as either primary heart tumor or secondary heart tumor.
- Primary heart tumor means that the tumor originated in theheart
- Secondary (also known as metastatic) heart tumor means that the tumor is a result of cancer that has spread from another organ to the heart.
Some tumors cause no symtoms at all whereas some tumors cause non-specific symptoms.
What are the treatment options?
Treatment involves a detailed diagnostic workup to completely characterize the tumor in order to understand the type of tumor, its size as well as anatomic location. Treatment options depend on the type of the heart tumor.
- Treatment for benign heart tumors: Some benign tumours do not require treatment. However, if symptoms occur due to benign tumors, an open heart surgery is done to remove these tumors.
- Treatment for malignant tumors: Following treatment options are recommended for malignant tumors.
- Radiation therapy
- Surgery is considered in specific severe cases as it is complicated and once the tumor is removed, heart tissue may need to be restructured.
Disclaimer: Please note that Mya Care does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The information provided is not intended to replace the care or advice of a qualified health care professional. The views expressed are personal views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Mya Care. Always consult your doctor for all diagnoses, treatments, and cures for any diseases or conditions, as well as before changing your health care regimen. Do not reproduce, copy, reformat, publish, distribute, upload, post, transmit, transfer in any manner or sell any of the materials on this page without the prior written permission from myacare.com.