Teeth Polishing- Dentistry
Disclaimer: Please note that Mya Care does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The information provided is not intended to replace the care or advice of a qualified health care professional. Always consult your doctor for all diagnoses, treatments, and cures for any diseases or conditions, as well as before changing your health care regimen. Do not reproduce, copy, reformat, publish, distribute, upload, post, transmit, transfer in any manner or sell any of the materials on this page without the prior written permission from myacare.com.
Teeth polishing is a dental procedure that can improve teeth appearance and prevent dental problems. Usually, it helps make your teeth looks shining, whiter and stain-free.
The types of teeth polishing are the following:
Usually during a polishing procedure, the cementum that covers the root of the tooth is exposed. This procedure helps in removing any microflora and endotoxins from the surface of the cementum.
Coronal / cosmetic polishing
This is a type of tooth polishing where unnecessary stains and plaque are removed. By using super-fine abrasive agents, the teeth enamel will look bright and shiny.
This procedure is done to improve the overall appearance of your teeth by polishing its crown. However, this procedure has limited benefits.
This type of procedure can remove teeth stains.
Why Is Teeth Polishing Required?
Teeth polishing can not only polish teeth surfaces, but it can also help remove dental plaque, stains and bacteria that form on the outer surface of the teeth.
The main advantage of tooth polishing over tooth scaling (deep cleaning of the teeth) is that it is a painless procedure. Also, patients may have clean and smooth teeth instantly after the procedure.
Tooth polishing is more painless than tooth scaling, yet you can also get the same results as with tooth scaling. It can also deeply clean the teeth and make it smoother after the procedure.
Which Doctor to Consult?
Dental professionals and hygienists are the primary doctors that specialize in tooth polishing procedures.
What to expect during the tooth polishing procedure
A small, soft rubber cup and polishing paste will be used by your specialist during a teeth polishing procedure. This is a painless procedure that you don’t have to worry about. Air polishing system are used for people with severe dental stains. This is a jet of pressurized air and water mixed with an abrasive agent that polishes the teeth.
Tartar is formed when plaque hardens and forms a tough mineral substance, where bacteria can live beneath the surface. Tartar may also cause many dental problems. To remove tartar, a procedure called scaling is used. Special instruments are also used by your dentists to polish teeth after tartar is removed. Dental polishing is the last procedure that your dental specialist will perform, to make your teeth looks shiny and smooth.
Prophylaxis paste will be used by your dentist to easily and quickly remove dental plaque and stains. This paste can help you avoid plaque and stain reoccurrence.
- Factors to consider in having more effective tooth polishing are as follows:
- Rotations per minute of the polishing device such as the rubber cup
- Pressure at which the rubber cup is applied on the tooth surface during polishing
- Thickness of the prophylaxis paste
- Time taken for the procedure
There are factors to consider before undergoing teeth polishing and these include:
- Newly erupted teeth
- Patients with allergies
- Patients with communicable diseases
- Rampant caries
- Surfaces with exposed root surfaces
- Surfaces with tooth sensitivity and gingival inflammation
- Teeth without existing stains
- Tooth decalcification
Talk to your dentist about your risks.
- Akshima Sahi, B. (2019). Tooth Polishing Procedure. Retrieved from https://www.news-medical.net/health/Tooth-Polishing-Procedure.aspx
- How Does a Tooth Polishing Procedure Work? | Colgate® Oral Care. (2019). Retrieved from https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/basics/dental-visits/how-does-a-tooth-polishing-procedure-work-/
- Is Tooth Polishing Necessary? - San Leandro Dentist: Dentist in San Leandro, CA - Bancroft Dental Care. (2019). Retrieved from https://bancroftdentalcare.com/is-tooth-polishing-necessary
- Tooth polishing. (2019). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_polishing