Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery
Disclaimer: Please note that Mya Care does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information provided is not intended to replace the care or advice of a qualified health care professional. Always consult your doctor for all diagnoses, treatments and cures for any diseases or conditions, as well as before changing your health care regimen.
Plastic is a term of Greek origin meaning to shape or mold. Thus, plastic surgery is essentially any surgery to shape or reshape one or another part of our body. It could be done either to repair a damaged part or remove a scar left on the body due to disease or accident or to improve the appearance for the uplifting of self-esteem of the person.
Any surgical procedure that is done to correct the non-life-threatening defect, and can wait, is classified as elective surgery. Thus, plastic surgery is elective, it can be pre-planned, and the person may also choose the place and kind of procedure. Hence, no doubt that many people may go outside of their own country of residence for such procedures.
Though many people may use the terms plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery interchangeably, there are some differences between them. Plastic surgery is primarily used for the purpose of reconstruction of the defects, that may have been present since birth, caused due to the accident, burn, or disease. Some of the common forms of plastic surgery are:
- Breast Reconstruction
- Burn Repair Surgery
- Congenital Defect Repair: Cleft Palate, Extremity Defect Repair
- Lower Extremity Reconstruction
- Hand Surgery
- Scar Revision Surgery
Cosmetic surgery is also the type of plastic surgery, but it is done entirely to improve the looks of the person. Any procedure done to improve aesthetic appeal is classified under the cosmetic surgery. But the benefits of such surgery should not be underestimated. In certain cases, cosmetic procedures may be essential for the psychological well-being of the person.
Below are the most sought-after cosmetic surgery procedures:
- Breast enhancement: it is the most common cosmetic surgery worldwide, some of the commonly wanted enhancements are:
- Breast augmentation- It involved increasing the size of breast by using implants or fat transfer.
- Breast Lift- it is also called mastopexy, it involves removing the excess skin from the breast to tighten it and improve its shape.
- Breast reduction- it is done to reduce the size of the overly large breast.
- Body Contouring: primarily done to improve the shape of the middle body.
- Tummy Tuck- involves removing the excess of skin from the tummy for improving its shape.
- Liposuction- it is a procedure that breaks and sucks the extra fat from the body, most commonly used for tummy, buttocks, and thighs.
- Gynecomastia Treatment- primarily for men suffering from breast sagging, either due to lost body weight or some hormonal health problem.
- Facial Contouring: it may involve improving the shape of the nose, chin or cheeks, but perhaps nose reshaping is one of the most common of them.
- Rhinoplasty- It may be done to either restore the function of the nose or to improve its shape for aesthetic reasons.
- Facial Rejuvenation: Facelift, Eyelid Lift, Neck Lift, Brow Lift. These surgeries mostly involve removing the excess skin and reshaping the facial features.
- Skin rejuvenation: Most of the procedures in this group are minimally invasive, which means that they are cheaper, less traumatic, and not essentially done by the cosmetic surgeon.
- Dermabrasion- Involves removing the upper layer of the skin, usually by rotating instrument, it is beneficial in small lines, scars or other defects of the skin.
- Botox- it the technique of injecting botulinum toxin to relax and smoothen the wrinkles.
- Laser resurfacing- removing the upper part of the skin with the help of a laser, to remove small skin marks or other defects.
- Filler treatments- involves injecting certain chemical or material below the skin to improve the looks and shape of that part. It is commonly used to enhance to shape and looks of the lips.
With the improvement in the safety and quality of surgical techniques, people are less reluctant to go for such procedures. Thus both the plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery has seen a boom in the last couple of decades.
There are many hospitals world over that specialize in such procedures. It makes a sense to travel abroad for these type of surgeries. Some of the cosmetic surgical procedures may take more than one sittings or multiple visits. Hence person would have plenty of time to discover the surroundings and relax. Not to mention the cost savings related to medical travel.