Dr. Ammar Safar
Address: Dubai Healthcare City, PO Box 505054, District 1, Al Razi Building 64, Block E, Floor 3, Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
About the Doctor
Dr. Ammar Safar is American Board Certified in Ophthalmology and is a highly experienced consultant in vitreoretinal diseases and surgery. Dr. Ammar is the Medical Director of Moorfields Eye Hospitals in the UAE. He is based in Moorfields Eye Hospital Dubai.
Dr. Ammar undertook his medical training in Syria before moving to the United States for postgraduate training. He specialised in Ophthalmology at Georgetown University in Washington, DC where he also served as a Chief Resident. He then acquired an additional 2-year fellowship training in Vitreoretinal Diseases & Surgery at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, USA. Dr. Ammar then went on to hold the position of Assistant and later Associate
Professor and Director of Vitreoretinal Surgery at the Department of Ophthalmology, Jones Eye
Institute, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, in the United States. He then relocated to the UAE where he was a Consultant Vitreoretinal Surgeon and President of Medical Staff at a private general hospital in Dubai.
In addition to his work in private practice, Dr. Ammar has undertaken research and clinical trials in areas such as diabetic retinopathy and age-related eye diseases, and published and presented extensively. His research work has also resulted in advances in retinal vascular diseases
(discovering new management options for diabetic retinopathy and vascular occlusive disorders) and in macular degeneration (new approaches for treatment of exudative macular degeneration).
Among his many honorary awards, Dr. Ammar was the inaugural recipient of The Martha Wood Bentley endowed Chair of Ophthalmology at the University of Arkansas.View Contact Details
Degree: The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas 2001
Residency: Georgetown University in Washington, DC
- Dr. Ammar is the Medical Director of Moorfields Eye Hospitals in the UAE.
- He is based in Moorfields Eye Hospital Dubai.
- Dr. Ammar was the inaugural recipient of The Martha Wood Bentley endowed Chair of Ophthalmology at the University of Arkansas.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- European Society of Retina Specialists
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- The Association for Research In Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- ArabAmerican Medical Association