Dr. Salman Waqar
Address: Dubai Healthcare City, PO Box 505054, District 1, Al Razi Building 64,, Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
About the Doctor
His areas of expertise include medical, laser and surgical treatments for glaucoma (including minimally invasive implants and aqueous shunt devices). He also offers cataract surgery using the latest small incision technology, and with a range of intraocular lenses (Toric, Multifocal and Extended Depth of Field), tailored to the patients individual needs.
Dr. Waqar graduated from Pakistan and has over 15 years’ experience of work in the United Kingdom. He holds a Certificate of Completion of Training from the UK, and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists. He has worked in various prestigious eye units including the West of England Eye Unit (Exeter), where he completed his sub-specialty training in glaucoma. In his career, he has been appointed as a consultant across a wide range of leading medical institutions such as the Royal Eye Infirmary (Plymouth), Nuffield Health, Medical Eye Clinic and Newmedica. In addition to his clinical work, he has also performed with distinction as director of clinical governance and for the glaucoma service.
Dr. Waqar’s research interests include optimizing patient outcomes with minimally invasive surgery, using virtual reality simulation to investigate surgeon performance and the development of innovative surgical instruments to improve patient safety. He has published extensively in peer-reviewed journals, such as the British Journal of Ophthalmology and the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and presents regularly at national and international meetings.
In his capacity as an Honorary Fellow with Plymouth University, he has been involved in training the doctors and surgeons of our future. In 2019, his work was recognized with a nomination for a regional Trainer of the Year Award by the Peninsula School of Ophthalmology. In addition, he has been the recipient of numerous research grants, and has co-authored two medical textbooks. Other accolades include invitations as a surgical skills instructor at minimally invasive glaucoma surgery courses, and to the microsurgical skills course with the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
In his spare time he is an avid reader, aspiring author and motivated triathlete.View Contact Details
Degree: Royal College of Ophthalmology
Residency: Royal College of Ophthalmology
- Dr. Salman Waqar is an experienced consultant ophthalmologist specializing in the treatment of adult glaucoma and cataracts at Moorfields Eye Hospital in Dubai Healthcare City.
- He has been appointed as a consultant across a wide range of leading medical institutions such as the Royal Eye Infirmary (Plymouth), Nuffield Health, Medical Eye Clinic and Newmedica.
- He has also performed with distinction as director of clinical governance and for the glaucoma service.
- Trainer of the Year Award by the Peninsula School of Ophthalmology
- United Kingdom and Eire Glaucoma Society
- The European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology